Document List

Based on your circumstances you may be required to submit all or only some of the documents listed below. Notification of required verification documents will be sent to the student’s GWemail address. Although periodic reminders are sent to students who have declared their intent to enroll, students should proactively check for any required forms or documents listed in GWeb. Please only submit those documents that are specifically requested. Submission of documents that are not required or applicable to your circumstances may result in delayed processing.

Academic Transcripts – Transcripts showing the student earned academic credit while in attendance at other schools where they utilized Federal Pell or Direct Loan funds.

Child support paid - Proof child support custodial family pays for non-custodial child. Copies of voided checks or notarized acknowledgement of payments received.

CSS Profile – A supplemental application submitted by first time financial aid undergraduate applicants at GW to apply for institutional financial aid funding. It is found online at

Bankruptcy documentation – Verifies previously defaulted federal loans active in Chapters 7, 11 and 12 bankruptcies can be discharged.

Default resolution letter – Provide a copy from each loan holder that all defaulted loans have been satisfactorily resolved. 

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) – The annual form used to determine eligibility for federal student aid programs. It is found online at

Federal Direct Entrance Counseling – Required for all for first-time Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loan Borrowers Note, graduate students must complete this as a graduate/professional student if borrowing a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Entrance Counseling – Required for all for first-time Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Borrowers

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (PLUS MPN) – Required of all first-time Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Borrowers or students who previously had a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan denied for credit reasons

Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note -Required for all first-time Federal Perkins Loan borrowers, who will be notified when the note is available for signature.

Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note (MPN) – Required of all first-time Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Borrowers

Federal Tax Returns (Parent) – Signed copy of Federal Tax Return along with all schedules.

Federal Tax Returns (Student) – Signed copy of Federal Tax Return along with all schedules.

Green Card – Copy of permanent resident card or other DHS documentation listed on the Citizenship and Eligible Noncitizen Requirements Policy.

International employment letter - Documentation of foreign income for individuals not required to file a us federal tax return. Documentation may include copy of translated tax return or letter from employer with calendar year income reflected in U.S. dollars.

IRS Tax Return Transcripts - Verifies income reported on FAFSA. Click here for information on how to obtain a transcript from the IRS

Loan Reaffirmation Letter – Reaffirms any over-borrowed federal loans must be repaid with the lender.

Physician’s certification of gainful employment and borrower acknowledgement letter – For students who had previous loans discharged due to total and permanent disability.

PLUS Counseling (Parent or Graduate Student) – Completed by the Parent or Graduate student when their credit has been approved for a PLUS Loan, either by adding an endorser or having their credit appeal approved by the Department of Education.

Proof of citizenship  - Copy of Birth Certificate, US Passport or Naturalization Certificate.

Proof of permanent resident or refugee status  - Copy of Permanent Resident Card or Refugee VISA. See policy on citizenship and immigration status requirements (link to policy page) eligibility for federal student assistance.

Proof of Selective Service Registration status - Copy of Selective Service Registration or documentation that student was not required to register.

Social Security Benefits Statement (1099-SS) - Copy of year end statement(s) for all family members receiving benefits.

Social Security Card - Copy of social security card to establish correct Social Security Number in cases where there is a database mismatch.

Verification of SNAP benefits - Copy of benefits statement documenting any benefits received during the prior two calendar years.

W2 Statements (Parent)  – Copies of employer issued W2s.

W2 Statements (Student)  – Copies of employer issued W2s.