Policy - Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment for the purposes of this policy refers to a program of study that includes a combination of undergraduate and graduate course work and through which the student will be awarded sequential degrees. If you are enrolled in a dual degree with the law or medical school please contact those respective financial aid offices.

The financial assistance awarded will be based on the designation of the student within the system (e.g. undergraduate or graduate). Typically for a five year bachelor’s / master’s degree program the first three years are considered undergraduate and the last two are graduate.

Entering undergraduates will be considered for need-based grants, scholarships and loans. Once the graduate portion of the program begins students will be eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

Undergraduate grants, scholarships and merit awards may not be used for graduate study. 

Degree Level

Sources of Funding


Admissions Based Merit Awards and Scholarships

Need-Based Federal Grants

Need-Based GW Grants

Need-Based Federal Loans

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Private Alternative Loans



Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Private Alternative Loans


Undergraduate students who are not enrolled in a dual degree program may continue to receive undergraduate aid while taking graduate courses (subject to academic departmental approval) so long as 50% or more of their enrolled credits each semester are  undergraduate courses.

See the How to Apply  and Assistance Types sections of our website for more information about how to apply or details on federal loans.