Policy - Summer Financial Assistance
Undergraduate students who are planning to enroll during the summer should complete the Undergraduate Change Form to report their non-standard enrollment plans. GW grants and scholarships are not available to fund summer enrollment.
Graduate students who are planning to enroll for the summer include these plans on their Graduate Loan Questionnaire.
- Federal Direct Loans require at least half time status (6 credits for undergraduate students, 4.5 credits for graduate students during the fall and spring and 3 credits for graduate students during the summer)
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans may be available in the summer provided the student did not use the full academic year amount during the preceding fall and spring semesters.
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans can be used during the summer. Parents of dependent students should follow the application instructions on the Parent Plus Loan Data Form.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans can be used during the summer. Graduate students apply by following the instructions on the How to Apply page of this website.
- Private Alternative Student Loans may also be used during the summer.
- Federal Pell Grants may be available to those who qualify for Pell Grants provided the student did not use the full academic year amount during the preceding fall and spring semesters. Amounts are based on both the EFC and enrollment (full, half or less than half time).
GW application forms are available on our website.