Policy - Official Break in GW Enrollment

There are circumstances in which students choose to register for an official leave of absence or continuous enrollment. Refer to university bulletin on policy.

Undergraduate students who are receiving merit awards can have funds reinstated upon return to school after an approved leave of absence (subject to other criteria such as full time enrollment and satisfactory academic progress). Students who have been gone for a full year should notify us by phone or email of their plans to re-enroll to ensure aid is processed correctly. Students who are required to apply for readmission are not eligible for the renewal of this grant and must apply as a new applicant.

Students who are on a leave of absence or continuous enrollment should follow the financial assistance application deadline dates for the applicable academic year.

Students who are not on leave of absence or continuous enrollment must reapply to the university and therefore follow the new student steps for applying for financial assistance.