Policy - Disability Discharge

If any of a student’s previous federal student loans were discharged due to a permanent and total disability, and they have recovered to the point where they can attend classes and be gainfully employed afterwards, they may be eligible to receive financial assistance. In order for the Office of Student Financial Assistance to proceed with a financial aid application, a physician’s certificate that states the student now has the ability to engage in substantial gainful activity must be submitted. This letter can be used for each Academic Year a student is in attendance at GW. In addition to the letter from the physician, each and every time the student applies for loan funds a new borrower letter must be submitted which acknowledges that the new loan obligation cannot be later discharged for any present impairment unless the student’s condition deteriorates to where they are totally and permanently disabled again.