Appeals for Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students who fail to meet SAP criteria after a Financial Aid Warning, may appeal the denial of financial aid by writing to the Office of Financial Assistance Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeals Committee. Appeals are considered in cases where there has been a death of a relative, injury or illness of the student or other special circumstances. The committee may consult with deans, professors, or physicians (as appropriate) to determine if a Financial Aid Probationary semester should be approved.  The appeal must include:

  • A completed SAP Appeal Form that has been reviewed by an academic advisor. 
  • A letter explaining why SAP was failed along with supporting documentation that substantiates the circumstances. Documentation should be from unrelated adults such as professors, academic advisors, clergy members, doctors or mental health professionals.
  • A description of a plan to rectify the situation in order to meet the requirements at the end of the Financial Aid Probation (one semester).